What is Property Fraud?
Property and mortgage fraud is the fastest growing white-collar crime in the United States, according to the FBI. Scammers file fake deeds, making it appear as if they own homes that are not actually theirs. These scammers then trick people into giving them money to rent or buy those homes.
Property Fraud Alert is a free service to help you protect your property from fraud by monitoring the documents being recorded in the Official Records of the Franklin County Clerk of Court.
By signing up for FREE property fraud alerts, you will receive notification by email or telephone whenever a document is recorded in Franklin County using your name or your business’s name. If you receive an alert about activity not initiated by you, this early notification can provide valuable time to stop criminals in their tracks. Reviewing your property records is an important way to protect yourself from fraud. I encourage you to sign up today and take advantage of this free service.
Sign up for the FREE Property Fraud Alert now.
Signing up is quick and easy! Simply follow these steps:
- Online go to www.PropertyFraud Alert.com or call (800) 728-3858.
- Click ‘Continue’ to begin the registration process.
- Choose whether you would like to monitor a person’s name or a business name.
- Enter the name you would like to monitor.
- Enter either an email address or telephone number where you would like to be alerted.
Under Florida Law, the Clerk’s Office is a public agency subject to Florida’s public records law. Any e-mail addresses and phone numbers in the possession of the Clerk’s Office are considered public records and subject to release upon proper request. If you have any concerns regarding your e-mail address and/or phone number being released if requested in an appropriate public-records request, you should consider whether to register with this system.
NOTE: Repeat the process to monitor additional names. If you entered an email address, you will receive a confirmation message.
You Receive an Alert
- When a document is recorded that matches your monitoring criteria.
- The alert will provide you with an instrument number.
- Search the online office records at www.franklinclerk.com to view the actual document.
- For assistance researching documents, please contact the Franklin County Clerk’s Recording Department at (850) 653-8861. Ext. 109 or press 0 for the operator.
- Contact law enforcement if you suspect you are a victim of fraud.
To change or cancel your Property Fraud Alerts Subscription
- Please call (800) 728-3858
As your Clerk, I urge you to monitor public records filed using your name, because it is an important way to protect yourself from fraud. Don’t delay, sign up today!
Franklin County Clerk of Court